After a lot of deliberating, and many other potential tracks, we finally found a track that we all liked and we felt fitted with the brief of our task and the ideas we all had for the video we wanted to create. The track we chose is called 'Teen Spirit' by SZA.
There were a number of reasons why we opted for this track:
- It falls under the PBR&B genre, one main genre that would be included in the types of artist under our label. Not only did it fall under this genre, but through the artists soulful voice, there are elements of soul in the track. Also there is a Hip-Hop and Dubstep feel created by the instrumental and beat of the track. Therefore it fits well with our record label.
- We felt that there was a gap in the market and in the PBR&B genre for a soulful female, as this genre is dominated by male artists.
- The tempo and general feel of the track is soft and slow, while being intense. Since our group all agreed from an early stage on a very conceptual music video we felt that this idea would work well with this track.
- Despite the slow instrumental, there are parts of the track where the beat kicks in, lifting the track. This means there is less repetition in the track and allows us to use these changes as changes to narrative of the concept of the performance.
- The lyrics are deep and very conceptual. Since they can be interpreted in a number of ways, we felt that this would work well with the conceptual performance video we wanted to create, as well as the involvement of a loose but still present narrative.
We contacted SZA, who owns the rights to the track, in order to inform her that we wanted to use the track for our project. We have not yet received a response.